TweetMeMe Live Writer plugin for Wordpress.com

[tweetmeme source="mrnitishkumar" only_single="false"]

Add to Google Buzz

Sometimes, we come across really great people just like what happened to me today. Just got a new TweetMeMe Live Writer Plugin for wordpress.com instantly made by Scott Lovegrove on my request today. I would also like to thank twitter and the great lady Mirella McCracken (for providing me early tips on TweetMeMe), which later on connected me to the great Scott. :)


My days with Live Writer and its Plugins

Livewriter Since I started posting my blog posts through Windows Live Writer, I was searching for more and more plugins to make the life easier for me. Plugins really do much great work for people like me, who don’t want to mess with HTML formatting etc and just want to concentrate over content only. There are a quite a many Live Writer plugins on official site and it was easy to spot them on the first day once I started using Live Writer. Even mentioned a few, I liked and recommended that time.

Even then it’s been a limited experience about customizations and continued to be so as I am not a professional blogger and was using Wordpress.com, which specifically don’t allow JavaScript etc neither its possible to install plugins directly on the site (Though plenty of Themes and settings that makes the Wordpress still the best platform to blog with).

Windows Live Writer was a fresh air for me as it allowed me to do many new things, which were not possible earlier through web way or through Microsoft Word 2007 (which I was using earlier). It was not only generating simple yet efficient HTML codes, but also was free. Options to add as many plugins made it a killer for anything else.

Twitter and Me

Sometimes, if we don’t use, then we don’t come to know about strength of things. Many people were thinking Orkut and Facebook as waste of time and started loving once used. Same with Twitter. It has became the biggest phenomenon of century, but still I was away from the same as I didn’t thought about whole concept and took it as kind of status update service only. Yes!! it is, but its openness, reach and popularity makes it one of most effective tool on internet.

I started recently with twitter, buzz, facebook and all… sure Twitter still rules..

What is TweetMeMe and how the button look like on your blog?twitter-bird-6-300x300

TweetMeme is a service which aggregates all the popular links on Twitter to determine which links are popular. TweetMeme categorises these links into Categories, Subcategories and Channels, making it easy to filter out the noise to find what you're interested in.

Twitter been a major source for spreading stories and so a very useful way for blogger for bringing traffic to their blogs. Not only bloggers but readers also get profited by simplicity of the process to spread the good words. The green button would look like something as given on the top of my post.


What’s the problem with Live Writer+Wordpress.com+TweetMeMe?
What is the first hand workaround?
Scott’s solution

There are quite a many plugins to share your post with public directories and social services and even many are available with your favourite browsers, but that’s about reader. Bloggers love the option to provide their readers simplest way (like a single click) to share the content. TweetMeMe Button seems to be very popular around the bloggers as we see many of the icons on all the blogs. The problem is with Wordpress.com and its famous code of not allowing JavaScript etc for security reasons. Most of the TweetMeMe buttons available were with JavaScript or iFrame involvement, all stripped by Wordpress.com even Scott’s earlier plugin (official one till now) too didn’t worked.

First hand workaround, I found from Mirella McCracken’s Blog. The solution was to add one line in the source of every post before posting and the magic line was

tweetmeme source=”yourtwittername” only_single=false

Ofcourse, need to change the yourtwittername with yours and also opening and ending brackets [].

I started using the same and at the same time tweetted that if someone has a working plugin? For my surprise, very soon, I got the reply from the man himself, the writer of the original TweetMeMe plugin from Windows Live Gallery; Scott Lovegrove. In few tweet conversations, he offered me that he could work out a plugin to support wordpress.com as well. I was overwhelmed for sure and was happy to hear if he can. Few mins more and he was right there with a new plugin (not available in Gallery yet) to function in exactly the same manner. Scott is great, Twitter is great, Live Writer is Great!!!!


How is work?

Its as simple as other plugins,

1. Install the MSI

Installed

2. Configure the options in Live Writer

config

3. It will ask permission once

start

4. While typing the post, if you try to see preview, then you will get this as this works at publish time

preview

5. After publishing, you gonna get a button like this at location you preferred. :)

button


I know many wanted this to work out of the box and here you go. Not sharing the MSI right now, as waiting for Scott himself to publish the same. Though anyone could contact him directly otherwise, he himself has promised to come up with a blog post and also to push this new one on Live gallery. Worth waiting.

Thanks Scott.. hope I will bug you again ;-)

Update:

Scott has published the plugin on Live Gallery. Added one more. Find the two links given below

Link 1 

Link 2 (This one will not work with Wordpress.com and is for follow me)

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Yahoo BuzzAdd to Newsvine

Digg This

Comments :

0 comments to “TweetMeMe Live Writer plugin for Wordpress.com”

Post a Comment

Readers are what make a place happening and comments/ feedbacks are what create a new world of possibilities